- 1 whole cinnamon stick.
- 6-8 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 3-4 whole cloves
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 3 Tsp loose leaf black tea (or ~3-4 black tea bags)
- 2 cups Dairy-free milk ( you can use almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk)
- 3 gms Magicleaf Stevia ( 3 nano spoon)
- Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, peppercorns, and cloves to the bowl of a mortal (or cutting board) and use pestle (or heavy pan) to slightly crush the spices. You aren’t pulverizing into a powder, just slightly crushing into small pieces
- To a medium saucepan add crushed spices, water, and grated (or sliced) ginger and bring to a boil over high heat. (Note: For a less gingery chai, reduce the amount of ginger and slice rather than grating). Then reduce heat slightly to medium/medium-low and maintain a simmer for 10 minutes or until it reduces by about one-third.
- Add tea (loose leaf or bags) and dairy-free milk of choice and lower heat to low. Cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Then turn off heat and let steep for 5 minutes more (covered) or longer for deeper flavor.
- Add Magicleaf Stevia and strain through a fine-mesh strainer before serving.